Wednesday, October 23, 2013

INTERVIEW WITH CAROLINE MAE BRINCKMANN


LE MOULIN ROUGE – A SPECTACULAR TALE OF LOVE AND HOPE AT THE WORLD’S GREATEST CLUB
By Carlos Pinho

The Moulin Rouge is a cabaret built in 1889 by Joseph Oller who also owned the Paris Olympia. Close to Montmartre in the Paris district of Pigalle on Boulevard de Clichy in the 18th arrondissement, it is marked by the red windmill on its roof. This year it is 123 years old. It is best known as the spiritual birthplace of the modern form of the can-can dance. Originally introduced as a seductive dance by the courtesans who operated from the site, the can-can dance revue evolved into a form of entertainment of its own and led to the introduction of cabarets across Europe.

Le Moulin Rouge tells the story of Emilie, a country girl who comes to Paris to find fame and fortune but who ends up falling in love. The courtesans  at the Moulin Rouge take her in and it is here that Emilie makes the transition from country girl to woman of the world. Set against the backdrop of the Second World War the lovers battle against all odds in a searing tale of love, loss and friendship.

Caroline Mae Brinckman a young and talented perfromer from  Somerset West played the lead role of Emilie in a spectacular show filled with love, life, music, tears and joy. I caught up with her and asked her:-

1.     How did you feel when you first heard you’d got the role of Emilie?
I was speechless, surprised and overwhelmed. It had been a long day at the auditions, sitting for almost 10 hours, awaiting the decision; but I was so grateful to have been given the role.

2.     Did playing the role of Emilie live up to your expectations?
It definitely lived up to the expectations I had. I learnt so much about myself from Emilie, and from everyone else in the production. It was more amazing than I could have ever imagined.

3.     Describe the feeling when you first stepped onto the stage in front of an audience?
I was ultimately overwhelmed on opening night at the Artscape Theatre. It was beyond any feeling I’ve ever known, and, I’ll admit, I was terribly emotional right before the curtain opened. When I think back on that very first moment when the lights came up on my bedroom in Morocco, I was trembling with excitement and fear. I could literally feel 540 pairs of eyes staring at me – and that was by far the most humbling feeling of all.

4.     Playing the lead role in such a huge production has undoubtedly increased your celebrity status. How does it feel?
I feel the same, really. Although, I’m much more confident in myself now that I know what I’m capable of achieving. Le Moulin Rouge was the first step I took towards my passion of singing in Broadway-style productions and the feeling I mentioned before, of knowing everyone in the audience is watching you, has given me the motivation I need to do it over and over again. I’m totally addicted to the feeling and I doubt I’ll ever lose the passion.

5.     What do you love most about performing?
I love every aspect of performing. From the make-up, costumes, and colouring and styling my hair, to sound checks, technical rehearsals and even sometimes helping out backstage. But when I think about the 8 months of hard work that went into Le Moulin Rouge, it is definitely the singing that I love the most.

6.     We’ve all had goose bump moments whilst watching the show. Did you get those and what was your goose bump moment?
There are so many of those moments – too many to tell you about them all! I can tell you that the entire Paris and I travelling scene made me tremble with excitement; the dialogue just before Elephant Love Medley and, of course, during the song made my knees weak; and I had goose bumps every time I sang One Day I’ll Fly Away – but most of all, the utterly raw emotion behind Someone Like You in Spain, brought me to tears, gasping and shaking through to my core.

7.     Which genre of theatre excites you the most?
I am 100% addicted to Musicals of any kind. From Singing in the Rain to The Sounds of Music; from Chicago to Phantom of the Opera – I love them all!

8.     Dancing? Acting? Singing?
I did Modern and Tap dancing when I was in primary school. I did it for 8 years and I really loved it. But it wasn’t for me. The same with acting, I did one or two little shows along the way, but my acting was not mind-blowing. On the night of the final show, the Director told me something that will always stick with me. He said: “When you started to sing at the auditions, I said ‘THIS is my Satine.’”

9.     How do you strike a balance between the ‘work-a-day’ you and your performance persona?
Well, as much as I can, I try to be the same person at home and with my friends as I am at work. But I love the contrast of the two – It keeps me really grounded. Performing definitely got the excess energy out of my system.

10.  Ambitions?
I’ve always wanted to be a Broadway star. I know, it’s a little cheesy, but I can see myself living that life – If I put my mind to it, I can get there. Although, it is a little bit daunting.

11.  Next Role?
I have no idea what’s coming in the future. Carnivals of the Heart’s next big production is of West Side Story. No news on that one yet, but I’ll keep you posted.

12.  Dream Role?
I’ve been dreaming of the role of Satine since I first watched Moulin Rouge! I’m pretty sure that this was my dream role, but I’m confident that there are many more to come.

13.  Where to from here?
I toy with the idea of possibly packing up my life and moving to USA to “make it big on Broadway” but I think that’s a bit of a risk. I’d love to become a Broadway singer, but ‘what will be, will be’.

14.  If you could sum up your experience in one paragraph what would it be?
I learnt so much about myself during the few months before the show. It was strange how suited Emilie and I were for each other. I spoke to Award-winning Best Actress Lisa Squire Harris about it, and I agree with her as she told me that ever character she has played is a little part of her; no matter how small. I believe I learnt so much from the motley crew / cast of Le Moulin Rouge, and never have I experienced such kindness, such understanding for others as I have with them. Carnivals of the Heart, the cast and crew, have become a sort of family to me. I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world.

15.  Any advice for aspiring actors?
Sheesh, well, from this experience, I learnt so much about myself and my abilities – I guess my advice would be don’t think that you know everything about your strength; be it acting, dancing or singing. There will always be someone who can do something slightly better – or rather, differently to you. When expertise is given to you, take it with both hands and be grateful for it. One thing that will always stick with me is my co-star Renier Jacobs’ ability to remain humble about his talents.

16.  What inspires you?
There are many things that inspire me, but off the top of my head, I’m inspired by Celine Dion’s singing, Gene Kelly’s tap dancing and Kate Winslet’s acting.

17.  What do you do to relax?
I usually listen to music or read. I like to keep busy, and mostly I’m out with my friends.

18.  What was the last book that you read?
I’m currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I love it so far.

19.  What CD is in your car radio right now?
I think it’s Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto – Their latest album. It’s really great music.

20.  Your favourite actor?
It’s sort of a tie between Hugh Jackman and Johnny Depp. I don’t think I could decide between the two – ever.

Copyright © Carlos Pinho 2013

Acknowledgements

Carnival of the Hearts / Darryl Spijkers for background info on the Moulin Rouge and programme notes for his production of ‘Le Moulin Rouge’

Photographs
Tracy Siebert Photography (Ltd)










No comments:

Post a Comment